State Innovation Programs – Report and Lectern Session
Many state DOT innovations that save time, money and lives are a product of the initiative of front-line workers who see—and then act on—a better way of doing their jobs. No Boundaries led an effort to learn how states identify, reward, and implement such innovative technologies and practices.
A December 2018 report highlights the innovation programs of seven state DOTs: Innovation Programs: Inquiry of No Boundaries Member States
No Boundaries’ representatives and guests discussed this study during the Transportation Research Board annual meeting in January 2019 in Washington, D.C. The lectern session panel explored two state case studies in detail and shared the national perspective on innovation.
Lectern Session 1471: State DOT Innovation Programs: Identifying New Technologies and Practices from the Front Lines
Tuesday, January 15, 2019, at 10:15 a.m.
Complete presentation files are linked in the presentation titles below.
- Session introduction and overview
Pat Casey for Brian Hirt, CTC & Associates (No Boundaries program manager)
- Survey of state innovation programs – a nationwide snapshot
Diana Clonch, DW Clonch (No Boundaries subject matter expert)
- Case Study: Minnesota DOT’s maintenance innovation program
Mindy Heinkel, Minnesota Department of Transportation
- Case Study: Innovation partnerships in Connecticut
Donna Shea, Connecticut Transportation Institute
- Every Day Counts: Innovations at the federal level
Jeffrey Zaharewicz, Federal Highway Administration
TRB Papers on Maintenance
No Boundaries compiles listing of papers related to maintenance from each year’s Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting. The paper compendiums below include titles, authors, paper numbers, and links to the full-text documents. Note: TRB requires a login to access full papers. If you are having trouble accessing the papers, check with your DOT or other transportation library.
- 2022 TRB Annual Meeting: Technical Sessions and Papers Related to Maintenance
- 2021 TRB Annual Meeting: Technical Sessions and Papers Related to Maintenance
- 2019 TRB Annual Meeting: Papers Related to Maintenance
- 2018 TRB Annual Meeting: Papers Related to Maintenance
- 2017 TRB Annual Meeting: Papers Related to Maintenance
- 2016 TRB Annual Meeting: Papers Related to Maintenance
No Boundaries Presentations and Handouts
- No Boundaries Presentation to AASHTO Maintenance Committee, PDF, July 2018
- No Boundaries Two-Page Brochure, PDF, updated June 2019
Maintenance Management Survey Results
- Maintenance Management Systems, published October 2016